Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Carnifex takes it seriously.


How would one define brutal? Not sure of the precise definition but I’m quite sure that the Carnifex show at the Hideaway in Johnson City, TN summed up all possibilities. Between the palpable eastern Tennessee humidity that was only enhanced by the venue’s fans and the intimidating circle pit in the middle of the floor, it was hard to determine which caused attendees to glisten with sweat.

How did the band get together?

Scott: Like September/October 2005. Me and Shawn (drummer) were just jamming…just like mutual friends and we got together like that.

How did you decide on the band name – Carnifex?

Scott: It was a name that…it’s from the Old English dictionary. In the Catholic Church when you would do something against the church – like if they thought you were a witch – where they would send you to get executed was called the “carnifex.” That’s where we got it.

What has music meant to you? How has it been present in your life?

Scott: It’s been very present in my life. I think I really started getting into music for myself when I was...however old you are in fourth grade. Let’s say nine or ten. That’s when I started discovering music for myself rather than listening to what my older sister was listening to or what my parents were listening to. I went from there and I’ve been in bands since I was like thirteen...messing around. You know, I got a guitar for Christmas type thing. I did that and just kept with it. This is about the fifth band I’ve been in.

Who are your major influences?

Scott: Non-metal would be like Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson and Stone Temple Pilots. I’m trying to think who else. Radiohead. Then for metal bands: Cradle of Filth and other bands like Bleeding Through and Lamb of God. Things like that.

Can you describe your songwriting process?

It’s kind of varied over the years. For our record that came out in 2007 and for all the records and EPs that came before that one, our drummer Shawn pretty much just wrote everything. I would write the lyrics of course. But he would write all of the music and the drum parts and do all the arranging. Since we’ve had a lot of member changes as far as guitarist and bass players. Me and him [Shawn] are the only original players. But more recently it’s been Cory and Shawn and Ryan writing. They will write stuff and arrange stuff and then I’ll write lyrics to it after that. You know let them do their thing and then we arrange it as a five piece.

How long have you been with the present line-up?

Scott: This current lineup has been since November of 2007. So nine months I guess.

Favorite song of your material and why?

Scott: I don’t know that I could say I like one out of all of them.

What about off the new album?

Scott: Off the new album maybe the title track…I like quite a bit. “Answers in Mourning” is definitely a song that I really like.

What are your thoughts on the current music scene? What do you hope to contribute?

Scott: I just hope that I can do for fans and listeners what bands that I have listened to have done for me. Enjoy the music…take your mind off the daily stuff. If people are able to connect lyrically with what I write, then even better. Just something that’s more than just heavy or fast music. It’s a whole experience as far as developing a connection. And creating something that someone can relate to rather than just noise.

What do you consider to be your greatest musical achievement thus far?

Scott: Oh man. I don’t have one. Nothing. I don’t know.

How has your experience with Victory been?

Scott: So far so good. I mean we’ve been with them since October…so far so good. There’s always negatives but you get that with any record label and with anyone you are working with: booking agent, manager, or label. There’s always something that you think they could’ve done better.

What is your favorite aspect of tour or least…whatever you want to throw out there?

Scott: Of course. I love being able to perform. It’s awesome. Just being able to meet people that appreciate the music and it’s doing something for them. If someone is enjoying something that we are doing and for whatever we contribute making their day better when they put our record in. It’s entertainment. It’s enjoyment. And if that’s what they’re getting out of it than that’s great.

Any exciting upcoming projects or tours?

Scott: Oh yeah. We’re always touring nonstop. But we’re doing, after this tour we are doing the Obituary tour. And then we’re going to Europe with Unearth and Parkway Drive and Despised Icon. We have some really good tours coming up the beginning of next year. They haven’t been announced yet – so I can’t really say anything.

Any final comments- anything you want to be sure I don’t miss?

Scott: Nope. Thanks.

With a couple releases under their belts (most recently The Diseased and The Poisoned) and a presently permanent band line-up, Carnifex is always out on the road. So there are no excuses not to catch a live show. But be warned - there won’t be a dull moment.

http://www.myspace.com/carnifexmetal

http://www.victoryrecords.com/carnifex

No comments: